So last week we looked at David and Goliath and we stopped with the conversation between Goliath and David right before David killed Goliath. (If you didn't get a chance to read the last post, I encourage you to go back and read it!) David was filled with faith. Wow! Can you see David's faith?! He came in the name of the Lord!! He knew that God would take care of him. Let's look at some things David did...
1.) David remembered what God had done for him in the past. (Earlier in 1 Samuel 17, David remembered when GOD helped him kill a lion and a bear with his hands!)
2.) David totally relied on God for the battle
3.) David trusted God fully.
4.) David defeated Goliath in the name of the LORD!
Are you fighting Goliath? I know the actual Goliath was killed many years ago, but I am talking about the devil. He is our Goliath. He thinks he can defeat us and we must remind him that he will not defeat us because we have God fighting for us. You also must believe that God is fighting for you, not against you. God wants to help you fight the devil....He gave us many verses to help win when the devil tempts us. One I like to use often is James 4:7- "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." I will sometimes think the second part of this verse in my head when I am struggling with the devil. Remembering the first part of the verse will help you as well because you must submit to God! God wants you to resist the devil. You may be thinking if I used a verse to defeat the devil when he tempts me, I would be saying scripture all the time... that's the point!! Say it in your mind...it will work! You can have victory over the devil in your life through Jesus! Once you have been saved, the devil will still attack, but you have power now! Use it....God wants to help you! You can defeat Goliath...through God!
If you are unsure if you have been saved or not, please read below!
1. Realize that God loves youJohn 3:16-"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
2. Realize that you are a sinner. Sins are anything that you do that is wrong, examples are lying, lusting, being jealous, etc.
Romans 3:23- "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
3. Know that you are a lost sinner. Realize that you need Jesus to get to Heaven. Nothing you do is good enough. Sin must be paid for, but Jesus paid the price for sin.
Romans 6:23- "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (You must accept that gift)
4. Believe that God sent Jesus, His Son, into the world, and believe that He died on a cross to take the punishment for your sins and then rose from the dead 3 days later.
Romans 5:8- "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Matthew 28:6-"He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay."
5. Ask God to forgive you of your sins, and ask Him to enter into your life and save you.
Romans 10:9-10- "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
Acts 2:21-"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
If you do that or have done that already, you are a child of God and you have begun your journey of following God's plan for your life.