The following verses in Romans chapter 8 go right along with the definition of hope the Lord has given me. My personal definition of hope is having peace eternally, and many of you know that is what my H.O.P.E. ministry stands for. Read these verses carefully and think about this definition of hope given in Romans 8...
"24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it."
When you choose to place your trust (hope) in God and you ask Him to forgive you of your sin, you believe that Jesus is God's Son and He took your place on the cross, and you ask the Lord to save you, you become God's child. Romans 8:24 says what we see is not hope. If you are able to tangibly look at something or touch it, you are no longer hoping for it...you have it. However we can hope for something that we do not have or see yet and that is true hope. When we have true hope in something, we will wait for it to come to pass. Example- We are waiting for Jesus to return in the rapture to take us (His children) with Him to Heaven, or we are trusting that if we die before the rapture, that we as Christians will be with Jesus the moment we pass from this life into eternity. We have not tangibly seen Jesus with our eyes, (you may have seen things He has done in your life, but not seen Him physically), yet you are still placing your hope in Him because you believe Him! You know that if you are saved, you will be with Jesus one day and that is true hope! No matter what happens in this life you have peace that one day nothing else will matter because you will be with Jesus! You can have peace eternally if you are a child of God, my friend!
If you do not have peace eternally or if you have a question whether you are a child of God and you wonder if you would go to Heaven or Hell if you died then you should continue reading below:
1. Realize that God loves youJohn 3:16-"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
2. Realize that you are a sinner. Sins are anything that you do that is wrong, examples are lying, lusting, being jealous, etc.
Romans 3:23- "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"
3. Know that you are a lost sinner. Realize that you need Jesus to get to Heaven. Nothing you do is good enough. Sin must be paid for, but Jesus paid the price for sin.
Romans 6:23- "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (You must accept that gift)
4. Believe that God sent Jesus, His Son, into the world, and believe that He died on a cross to take the punishment for your sins and then rose from the dead 3 days later.
Romans 5:8- "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
Matthew 28:6-"He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay."
5. Ask God to forgive you of your sins, and ask Him to enter into your life and save you.
Romans 10:9-10- "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
Acts 2:21-"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved."
If you do that or have done that already, you are a child of God and you have begun your journey of following God's plan for your life.